Friday 19 November 2010

Tradition, Tradition! (And An Addition!)

    Our first holidays as a family are rapidly approaching upon us, I cannot tell you how excited we are! ...Well mostly me, I think Andrew is just looking forward to a break from work for a few days. He's been working pretty hard lately, more so than usual. Anyway, as I was making a Thanksgiving Day menu yesterday, I couldn't help but reminisce on holiday traditions from my family.
    I remember waking up, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and making homemade Chex mix. I can almost hear my dad saying "Now, Little Miss Ana... I think that's enough.." and my mother chiming in with "Yeah! You don't want to fill up on Chex mix..." Being raised in an Italian family, we had an extra dish that was traditional for us. Linguine with my dad's famous homemade pasta sauce, we even made our own linguine some years! I don't think that will be happening this year though, but, I'm okay with it! Why? Because Andrew and I are making our own traditions and it is more exciting than I thought! 
Being stationed overseas, a lot of the single guys stationed here have no one to celebrate Thanksgiving with. I couldn't stand the thought that some of them might be alone and hungry on Thanksgiving so I invited a bunch of them over to share Thanksgiving dinner with us. :) What's on the menu? I'll tell you!  
  Turkey, mashed potatoes (a recipe called "Mater's taters", to be exact) candied yams, fruit salad, which is a yummy family recipe, honey glazed ham, green bean casserole (Andrew's favorite part), cranberry orange relish, homemade Chex mix, stuffing/dressing, mac & cheese bake, and of course... Pies! I am so excited for this wonderful feast, and for the great company of friends. 
Mama Kitty and her adorable little bundles of furry joy
 Once Thanksgiving is over, and after I've slept off all of that tryptophan, I will be cheerfully decorating my house for the best holiday EVER, Christmas!!  I would also like to take this time to tell you that we will have a new addition to our little family come December 4th! We are adopting a kitten and it will be ready to leave it's mother by then :) We have 6 babies to choose from. We are pretty darn excited!

We hope you all have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving full of delicious food, family fun, and God's blessings!


Until next time...
Blessings and holiday cheer, 
The Pearsons

No comments:

Post a Comment